November 24, 2004

A Stitch in Time

My birthday was a few weeks ago. I got myself a few presents, well two really. The first was something I'd been wanting for a long time. It's the Denise Interchangeable Needle set. It's amazing. You get every size from 7 to 15, and every size joining cord. So basically you have every needle you'll ever need for the rest of your life.

The second thing that I got for myself was Stitch N' Bitch Nation. It's a knitting book that is the companion to Stitch N' Bitch, which is a wonderful book on the feminist aspects of knitting. SNB Nation is 50 more patterns, including the picture blow, the Wavy Gravy scarf that I just had to try out. It was so easy and so quick, knit with two strands of yarn and size 11 needles. It may look difficult, but it's made with simple increases and decreases to make the scarf seem to curve and wave.

The book has a lot of amazing patterns. I can't wait for the holiday season to be over so that I can focus on, well, knitting for me. Me me me! I really just want to try to make myself a sweater. I have one started, being knit in Lion Brand Homespun. It's a simple enough pattern, I just haven't had the time to work on it at all.

One of my professos, and a fellow knitter, asked me today what I do with my extra yarn. We all have that problem, you buy just a touch too much yarn and end up with excess, sitting and taking up room that many of us don't have. Well I've heard of a really great idea for using those yarn remnants. Roll them into small balls and throw them into a garbage bag/box/anything that will hold it without letting you see. Reach in blind and, using whatever size needles you'd like and casting on however many stitches you'd like, use up each ball of yarn in turn without looking. When you finish up you'll have the craziest one of a kind throw blanket in the world. As soon as I do one I'll post a picture.

No comments: