May 02, 2006

A New Month

I'd like to thank everyone for their kind words in response to my last post. I'm feeling much, much, MUCH better. A lot more like myself.

I took this past Wednesday as a mental health day and just spent the day pondering why I'd slipped into such a dark place. What had started the downward spiral and why hadn't I been able to catch myself once it started? I realized that there was a whole bunch of things that I'd stopped doing. Little things that made me happy, that all added up help make me who I am.

I'd stopped singing. In the shower, in the car, everywhere. I stopped writing. I wasn't reading. I barely touched my knitting at all in April, in fact I spent most of the month going from work to home, where I locked myself up in my bedroom with the lights off. It was as if spring woke everything up and I forced myself into hibernation.

I've spent the last week trying to undo the self inflicted damage and I think, so far, I'm doing quite well. I'm reading more and I posted the first short story up at Grave Writing. It's called The Night Shift and it's starring my older brother Kirk. I'm quite proud of it to be honest, I think it's a fun sort of scary story. I let him read it and he enjoyed it. I started a new knitting project, the Irish Diamond Shawl from Folk Shawls, and I'm hoping to finish up my KIKASS shawl in time to give it to my mom for Mother's Day.

Things are looking up. Day by day I'm feeling more like myself and enjoying the spring.

5 comments:

Chris said...

I am SO GLAD to hear that you're doing better!! And that you were able to bring yourself back from the darkness - that isn't easy to do.

chittavrtti said...

April apparently has been weird for a lot of people where I live. Major stress. Happy to see you back with us :) **CV

Kelly said...

I am glad to hear you are feeling better. Sometime the change of seasons can be rough on the old mental health.

mrspao said...

I am so glad you are sounding so much better (hug). I know what it is like to be in that sort of darkness so I admire you for pulling yourself up out of it. Go Kelly!

Melissa said...

I'm very glad that you are feeling better.