August 05, 2005

Hats Off!

Some knitters simply adore making socks. Seems like every time you open up some people's blogs they have a picture of their feet with new lovely socks on them. I'm a hat knitter, myself.

Last night, shortly after posting around...1 or 2 am I sat on my floor, pulled out some yarn and started a hat. No pattern, just started knitting it. I did 2 rows before going to sleep. Today I finished the hat. And, if I do say so myself, it's adorable. Neon green, black, teal blue, light purple, and dark purple. Just random stripes, no real pattern to the color. And for a hat that was knit without any pattern, I have to say that it fits me very well. This is the 4th hat that I've made and now that I've made up a pattern that works for me and is easy for me, I'm sure that number will only increase. They're just fun to make and who doesn't love being able to wear a project that they started that morning? And it makes me feel like my day off didn't go to waste.

But I would like to understand the love for knitting socks. I did try, once upon a time, with some regular yarn and made a sock that would fit bigfoot, because I didn't understand yarn weight and gauge back then. And then I bought some size 2 dpn and some sock yarn but nothing ever came from it. I like the description that someone said, about knitting with dpn being like wrestling with an angry porcupine. But I've never been one to shy away from a hard project (says the girl who's mortally afraid of starting a sweater) so I think I'll give it a try.

No comments: