September 16, 2009

It's a World of Laughter, A World of Care...

Imagine if you will...

I am sitting in a small conference room with seven other graduate students, all of us preparing for the wacky adventure called teaching.

It's during a break. We are chitchatting, discussing ourselves, our lives and other unimportant things. I confess that I'm living with my boyfriend in his parents' basement until we find an apartment. Another woman laughs and shakes her head, "All these things you keep saying remind me of my ex."

I smile and nod. "That's cause I think I am dating your ex. Did you date Dan Lastname?" Her expression answered the question for me. She looked HORRIFIED. I, on the other hand, having come to the conclusion a few days prior to this, was laughing hysterically. I think it's the funniest damn thing that's happened to me in a long time.

It's a strange situation, you can't deny that. She's in another class with me and sometimes I look at her and wonder "Why did they date?" and at other times I look at her and understand "Oh, that's why they dated!". It's a weird opportunity to observe this woman who he used to love. I try not to compare, and we're very different so it's easy, but still... there has to be something about me that is similar to something about her.

It's a small, small world.

1 comment:

Batty said...

Does there? I think there just has to be something that spoke to who he was back when he was with her.
Maybe you're completely different. That's why he's with you.